The history of the Grodzinski family in England dates back to 1888 when Harris and Judith Grodzinski arrived from Lithuania bringing with them the art of great bread making. They hired ovens from another kosher baker and set up the business from a market barrow in London's East End, establishing a baking tradition that is still adhered to today.
1930 - 1940
The business grew and soon the family moved in to 31 Fieldgate Street where they set up what was to be their home & bakery for the next 40 years. Harris and Judith's son Abraham and their grandsons Harry and Ruby kept up the high quality of baking, whilst at the same time expanding the business. Wherever the English Jewish community went, Grodzinski went with them, delivering to a number of wholesale customers from two horse drawn vans.
1940 - 1960
By the late 1930's, most of the baking was moved to premises in Stamford Hill. This proved to be a fortuitous move as on 29th December 1940, the original bakery in Fieldgate Street was completely destroyed in a German air raid. Expansion continued after the war and by the mid 1960's Grodzinski was the largest Kosher Bakery in Europe.
1960 - Present
In 1999 the first Grodzinski bakery was opened in Toronto thus continuing the family baking traditions into the fourth and fifth generations.